Sunday, September 11, 2016

Some fixin'

I finally got some time to fix some issues with some of my guitars. It was not anything big, just a bad connection in the output jack in my BC Rich Mocking Bird that needed fixing. And when the soldering iron was hot I also adjusted the Agile Hornet to my liking, i.e. changed the wiring from two volume and one tone to one volume and one tone. I've never got it in to my head (fingers) which volume to use when, so one is better for me :-)

I also added another battery, so now it runs on 18 V as most of my other guitars. Some years ago I read about running EMGs on 18 V and after watching a demo on youtube I decided to try it out. I made a coupling that allowed for quick switching between 9 V and 18 V so that I could easy hear the difference, if any. And to my big surprise 18 V really made a difference. It increased the headroom and therefore reduced the compressed sound a bit without really removing the sound that I love with EMG pickups.

Since this guitar has a separate battery compartment I had to squeeze in the additional battery beneath the volume pots. There was not really room for this so now the pick guard does not fully rest on the body of the guitar. But hey, It's only rock 'n roll, so who cares. :-) It is impossible to spot anyways if you are not playing the guitar and looking specifically for this.





Rock on!

No comments:

Post a Comment