Friday, September 16, 2016

Rewiring of the Agile Hornet Pro 725

I just wanted you to know that the rewiring of the Agile Hornet Pro 725 went really well. The only thing I discovered was that the pot that I wired in as the volume pot got a bad connection at almost full volume. I discovered the exact same thing once before when I rewired my BC Rich Mocking bird, and that time it went away after some weeks of usage. This time I drowned the pots in electronic cleaning spray and let it do it's thing during the night. That solved the problem. It may have something to do with the soldering procedure, but that's just a guess. Maybe I have to keep the temperature down the next time.

I've installed the Super Vee Mag-Lok on this guitar and a while after the installation I noticed some problems with the tuning. Somehow it changed a lot from time to time. After some investigation I found out that it was due to the fact that the Mag-Lok pin moved up and down the hole in the sustain block. When it had moved up and gotten stuck in a higher position the balance point of the bridge got altered which resulted in a higher pitch. But when the pin somehow got back to it's normal position the pitch dropped again. I tried to jam the pin shut in different ways and I almost succeeded with some sticky tape mounted on the pin and some plastic foam mounted between the Mag-Lok and the hatch. But it still moved slightly. I just did not get what the problem was until I really looked at the Mag-Lok while doing a full dive with the bridge. Then I realized what was causing the Mag-Lok pin to move. When the bridge was in full dive position, the sustain block not only had moved to the back of the cavity, it had also moved down towards the strings because of the turning motion. The bottom of the cavity is horizontal with the body, but the Mag-Lok now needs to lean back into the cavity to keep it's place in the sustain block. Halfway through the dive the Mag-Lok therefore hits the bottom of the cavity and that forces the pin to rice up the hole during the rest of the dive. So the next project will be a change of the installation of the Mag-Lok.



Rock on!

No comments:

Post a Comment