Saturday, July 6, 2013

Mockingbird modification

Hi there!

I just wanted to mention that I could not cope with the sluggish volume control on my Mockingbird anymore. It was actually a month ago or so that I replaced it with a much quicker one. It was impossible to quickly change the volume between more calmer and heavier parts in a song. If I had time there was no problem, but I found out that I seldom have that time in the songs. I probably could have started to lift some weights and train my finger strength or so ;-) but why bother when a much easier solution is available.

I ran out of battery during rehearsals a couple of weeks ago and when replacing it I also added another battery in series so that my EMGs now run on 18 V.  I have that setup on a couple of my guitars and I like it. I was skeptical about this in the beginning, but I can actually hear a difference in headroom i.e less compressed sound. Even after my ENGL Powerball has chewed on the signal I still feel it. Okay, it's not a big difference, but it's there. I think I would not like the signal to be too dynamic either. I mean I love the sound I get out of the EMGs so why remove the characteristics from them. Running them on 18 V just enrich  the sound a little bit, but the main character is still there.

The Mockingbird had a smart pocket for the battery so I had to add the other battery in the space for the electronics. So now I have two lids to remove when changing batteries :-(. You have to sacrifice yourselves for sound quality :-)

New potentiometer and an additional battery!


















Have a nice summer everyone! If there is someone out there reading this???

No comments:

Post a Comment