Sunday, April 1, 2018

The Flower Kings

I did a new musical discovery today :-D
I have listened to Transatlantic for a while now, mostly on some live concerts on YouTube, but I have also seen them perform on Sweden Rock Festival. I discovered Transatlantic because the former drummer of Dream Theater, Mike Portnoy, plays drums in the band. When looking at the line-up I realized that there was a Swede playing the guitar, Roine Stolt. Interesting, but I never got the idea to follow up on what bands he plays in. Today I did this. He is the founder of the Swedish progressive rock band The Flower Kings. Since Transatlantic is a so called super group it is probably a mixture of the styles from the different members and since Portnoy represents the heavier style I did not expect Roine's bands to be of the heavy type. But today I found out that The Flower Kings almost have the same heavy sound as Transatlantic. Well they do not really, but they have it in another way that I really like. I watched a live concert on YouTube today and it was really captivating. Some new sounds for  me and som old familiar ones at the same time. It was a step towards a more gentler and elegant music with sudden bursts of typical progressive passages. I liked it very much today, but as I've mentioned before I have to listen to music many times before I can really judge it. The future will tell...   Now I'm going to lookup if they have any shows planned in Sweden for this year. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment